1. WHAT IS SILDERM™ SCAR GEL?
SilDerm™ Scar Gel is a lightweight, self-drying silicone gel for the treatment of scars. SilDerm™ Scar Gel contains Silicone which has been shown to flatten, soften and smooth scars, relieve the itching and discomfort of scars, as well as reduce the discoloration associated with scars.
2. WHAT IS SILDERM™ SCAR GEL MADE OF?
SilDerm™ Scar Gel is made of silicone.
3. HOW DOES SILDERM™ SCAR GEL WORK?
SilDerm™ Scar Gel rapidly dries to form a custom fitted silicone sheet; this silicone gel sheet layer is gas permeable, flexible and waterproof. SilDerm™ Scar Gel forms a bond with the stratum corneum (the outer layer of dead skin cells) forming a protective barrier against chemical, physical and microbial invasion of the scar site while assisting with hydration. This creates an environment that allows the scar to mature through normalized collagen synthesis cycles and improves the physiological and cosmetic appearance of the scar.
4. HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR A SCAR TO IMPROVE?
When using SilDerm™ Scar Gel, the recommended minimum treatment time is 60–90 days. Larger and older scars may take longer and continued use is recommended if improvement is still seen after the initial 90 days.
5. HOW SHOULD SILDERM™ SCAR GEL IS APPLIED?
6. ON WHAT TYPES OF SCARS IS SILDERM™ SCAR GEL EFFECTIVE?
SilDerm™ Scar Gel is intended for the management of old and new hypertrophic and keloid scars resulting from general surgical procedures, trauma, wounds and burns. It may help to soften and flatten raised scars and reduce redness or discoloration associated with them. It may also reduce itching or irritation you may still be experiencing.
7. DOES SILDERM™ SCAR GEL WORK ON PITTED ACNE SCARS?
No. Topical scar treatments are not effective on pitted acne scars. If you have pitted acne scars, please see a dermatologist. She/he can discuss with you some of the latest treatments for managing these types of scars, including laser therapy, dermabrasion and fillers.
8. WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF USING SILDERM™ SCAR GEL INSTEAD OF SILICONE SHEETS?
SilDerm™ Scar Gel has all the benefits of silicone sheets without the inconvenience. Tape allergies, difficulty of use and the potential for bacteria growth between the sheet and the skin are all problems inherent with sheeting.
9. IS SILDERM™ SCAR GEL SUITABLE TO USE ON CHILDREN?
Yes, SilDerm™ Scar Gel is completely bio-compatible and is therefore suitable for the use on children or people with sensitive skin.
10. DOES SILDERM™ SCAR GEL HAVE ANY ODOUR ASSOCIATED WITH IT?
No, SilDerm™ Scar Gel is 100% odour free.
11. ARE THERE ANY RESTRICTIONS ON THE USE OF SILDERM™ SCAR GEL?
SilDerm™ Scar Gel is for external use only. Direct contact with eyes, mucous membranes, third degree burns and open wounds should be avoided. SilDerm™ Scar Gel should not be used on dermatological conditions that disrupt the integrity of the skin.
12. HOW DO I CLEAN THE AFFECTED AREA BEFORE RE-APPLYING SILDERM™ SCAR GEL?
The SilDerm™ Scar Gel layer will dissipate as your skin cells naturally exfoliate approximately 24 hours. If necessary, gentle washing with soap and water should remove any remainder. It is not necessary to remove the entire SilDerm™ Scar Gel layer prior to re-application.
13. WILL SILDERM™ SCAR GEL HELP HEAL OLDER SCARS, OR JUST NEW SCARS?
SilDerm™ Scar Gel may help improve the appearance of older scars as well as newer scars.
14. HOW LONG SHOULD I USE SILDERM™ SCAR GEL FOR SCAR TREATMENT?
90 days is the recommended initial treatment period however depending upon the scar’s condition and age, treatment could be a bit shorter or longer. Depending on the size of the scar, each package is designed to offer a sufficient quantity of gel for 90 days of treatment, applied twice a day.
15. HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO SEE RESULTS?
The timing of results varies greatly from person to person. You should see improvement within 90 days. Reduction of redness and itching are usually the first results noted.
16. SHOULD I CONTINUE TO APPLY SILDERM™ SCAR GEL AFTER 90 DAYS?
If you are still progressing at 90 days, continue to apply SilDerm™ Scar Gel until you are no longer seeing improvement.
17. WHEN CAN I START TO APPLY SILDERM™ SCAR GEL AFTER SURGERY?
You can start to apply SilDerm™ Scar Gel after the stitches have been removed and the wound is closed.
18. IS SILDERM™ SCAR GEL EFFECTIVE ON ALL SKIN TYPES?
SilDerm™ Scar Gel is effective on all skin types and colors.
19. WILL SILDERM™ SCAR GEL HARM MY HAIR?
SilDerm™ Scar Gel will not harm your hair. There is no effect from SilDerm™ Scar Gel on hair.
20. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SILICONE GEL SHEETS AND SILDERM™ SCAR GEL?
This ultra-thin waterproof sheet increases the hydration of the stratum corneum but also allows the skin underneath to breathe. The thinner the layer, the more durable the material will be and the better the breathability. If SilDerm™ Scar Gel is applied too thick then this reaction will take too long and the gel will remain sticky.